History of the Mosinee Branch Library (The Joseph Dessert Library)
Joseph Dessert came from Canada to Little Bull Falls (Mosinee) in 1844. He decided that a library was needed and built and equipped a free library for the community. Dedicated on February 11, 1899, the building was used as a library and at times also as a post office, village hall, school room, and was the scene of many events including dances and balls. The library was the only place in town with theater facilities, so amateur plays were presented here and school commencements were held in the Hall. The library existed as a city library until 1974 when it was recommended by the Library and municipal boards that the Joseph Dessert Branch Library join Marathon County Public Library. Celebrations have marked two significant anniversaries for the library, the first in 1949 at the 50th anniversary and the second in 1999 at the time of the 100th year. Renovations have been completed with the most recent occurring in 1995 as part of the county-wide building program for libraries. Today, the library maintains its status in the City of Mosinee as both an important community service and as a building significant to the history of the community.