March 19, 2021
Get some things planted indoors by making this quick and easy decorative bottle planter!
Please note that this craft is designed for adults, as plastic bottles can have very sharp edges after you cut them.
To get started, you'll first need to gather a few common supplies:
Plastic bottle (preferably 2-liter - the larger, the easier to work with)
Acrylic paint and brushes
Cotton string (optional)
Decorative supplies (optional)
1. Wash and dry your bottle, then lightly sand the surface to prep it for paint (paint will flake off if not prepped).
2. Using a marker, trace your desired bottle design onto the plastic (the design can be anything you want!)
3. Cut the bottle in half or along the design you made. For self-watering planter, save the top of the bottle and decorate that as well.
4. Paint the bottle in whatever colors or designs you'd like and let it dry for at least 12 hours.
5. Seal the final coat with a sealant (spray or brushed on). Once dry, you can decorate the bottle with any additional decorations or craft supplies you may have.
6. To create a self-watering planter, punch a hole in the cap using a nail or another sharp object. Tie a bundle of cotton string into a knot and thread it through the cap so that the knot is on top and the rest of the strings are inside the bottle. The strings will absorb water and from below and nourish your plant!
image credit: MCPL