April 7, 2020
If you've got some yarn, straws, scissors and tape laying around the house, you're in luck! That's all you need to make a cool, colorful bracelet of your own design!
• At least 3 straws (can use more than three for wider bracelet)
• Masking Tape
1. Tape the ends of three straws together.
2. Cut three pieces of yarn, each three times longer than the straws in length (about 22 inches each).
3. Thread yarn through each straw. A wooden skewer or knitting needle is helpful to push the yarn through the straws. Knot the ends of the three pieces of yarn together. Leave extra yarn (2-3 inches) after your knot so you will be able to tie the bracelet together at the end.
4. Tape straws to the table using masking tape.
5. Tie a knot around the topmost straw. Now you can begin weaving!
6. Guide your yarn under the middle straw, then over the bottom straw. Then guide yarn under the bottom straw, over middle straw, under top straw. Repeat pattern.
7. Push yarn towards taped end every so often to make sure loops are snug.
8. Keep repeating the weaving process until you reach the desired length of your bracelet.
9. Cut yarn and tie a knot (don’t double knot) around the straw you finished weaving on.
10. Remove the tape holding the straws to the table then remove tape holding straws together.
11. Carefully slide the woven loops off the straw. Push towards the end of the three pieces of yarn that were tied together before you began weaving.
12. Take the end of yarn that you finished weaving with and tie it in a knot around the yarn it was woven around. Double knot to keep in place.
13. You should have 4 strings of yarn at the end where you finished weaving. Tie them all together in a knot as close to the end of the bracelet as you can.
14. Tie ends together and enjoy your new woven bracelet!
Once you get started with this craft, you get the hang of it pretty quickly. Once you make a bracelet for yourself, you'll be busy making one for someone else, too!
image credit: MCPL