May 13, 2020
A fun craft to do while at home with the family, these egg carton animals are an adorable and a cute way to use empty cardboard egg cartons. Since the craft requires a lot of cutting, it is best for older kids, teens and adults, or smaller children wtih adult supervision and assistance.
We'll show you how to make both a rabbit and a chick, though with a little imagination and ingenuity, you can improvise and make a variety of different animals.
For this craft, you'll need...
• 1 cardboard egg carton
• Acrylic paints and paintbrushes
• 1 white Pom Pom
• Other decorations or details you want to add to your animals (feathers, buttons, etc.)
Steps to Make a Rabbit:
1. Cut out three individual cups from the bottom of a cardboard egg carton. Trim around the rim of each cup so that the edge is uniform (as best you can).
2. To form the body of the rabbit, stack two cups together, glue, and set aside until the glue dries.
3. Trim the sides of the third cup until just one side remains. Using the discarded sides, cut out a set of bunny ears.
4. Paint all of the cardboard pieces white. Add strips of pink in the middle of each bunny ear and add a pink dot on the face of the bunny for its nose. Add two black dots for eyes. Set aside to dry.
5. Glue the ears onto the face and then glue the face onto the body. To finish it off, glue a pom-pom to the back for a tail.
Steps to Make a Chick:
1. Cut out two individual cups from the egg carton and trim the edges so they are as uniform as you can.
2. Stack one cup onto the other (opening side together), glue, and set aside to dry.
3. Using a scrap piece of egg carton, cut out a diamond shape and fold it in half to form a beak.
4. Glue the beak onto the body slightly above where the two halves meet.
5. Paint the chick yellow, add two dots for eyes, feather is optional or any other decorations you want to add.
image credit: MCPL