April 13, 2022
The Marathon County Public Library (MCPL) is delighted to share that our Wausau, Hatley, Marathon, Mosinee, Rothschild, Spencer and Stratford branches will be offering in-person family story times this spring, summer and fall! To keep participants and library staff safe, all story times will be conducted outdoors on green spaces outside each location. See our Story Time page for dates, times and locations.
While the stories, faces and fun of an in-person story time will be familiar, participating in these outdoor events will be different than they were indoors. Please note the following items and plan accordingly so that you and your family can have the best story time experience possible!
- Seating - BYOC! Bring your own chair or blanket for your family. All story times will take place in grassy areas around the library and we will not have seating available for these outdoor events.
- Safety - Since we will be out in the elements, bring anything you and your family will need while outdoors for 30 minutes - sunscreen, water, hats, shaded strollers, bug spray, snacks, etc.
- Safety (again) - Being that these events are outdoors, it's possible that there will be traffic within the vicinity. Caregivers are responsible for keeping an eye on their children and making sure they don't wander, as library staff cannot watch children and carry out story time at the same time.
- Weather - In cases of severe weather (tornado warnings, thunderstorm warnings, severe heat, etc.) story times will be cancelled. If rain is in the forecast, we will still hold story time, but please note that the start time may be delayed or the story time may be cut short if it begins to rain heavily. Watch our website and social media for cancellations and rescheduled events.
- Large groups - Just like indoor story times, we cannot accommodate large groups at our outdoor events. If you have a daycare group or class, please call us and we can make arrangements for a special story time just for your group!
- Illness - If you or a family member are ill, please stay home. We will have story times throughout the spring, summer and fall, and will be happy to see you and your family when you are healthy! We also have an archive of virtual Family Story Times online that you and your family can enjoy if you can't make it to the library in-person.
We have truly missed doing in-person story times over the past two years and are so excited to see families come back together and enjoy books safely! We thank you for your patience (and your continued patience) as we start to offer in-person events in a post-COVID world. See you soon, story time friends!
image credit: Pixabay/free image