March 27, 2020
This week, the Marathon County Public Library was going to celebrate Spring Break with a variety of activities and craft events. Though all of our planned events were canceled due to MCPL's temporary closure, we're still posting some of the crafts we DID have planned so that parents and kids can do them together at home!
Today's craft comes from an event we originally had scheduled for March 27 at MCPL Wausau, where kids could make their own popsicle stick puzzles. This craft requires simple supplies found in most homes and can be adapted as needed. Just follow the steps below and, before you know it, you'll be piecing together a puzzle of your own creation!
1. Line up six popsicle sticks, craft sticks or tongue depressors side by side so that they're touching. (if you don't have these, you can also line up six separate strips of paper or cardstock)
2. Place two strips of masking tape diagonally across all six sticks, forming an "X" with the two strips of tape. The tape will help secure the sticks in place as you draw and color your puzzle design.
3. Flip the taped sticks over. Draw on your puzzle design using a pencil.
4. Using a black marker, trace over your pencil drawing to make the design stand out.
5. Using a variety of markers, color in your puzzle design.
6. Remove the masking tape from the backside of the sticks, mix up your puzzles pieces, and try to piece it back together!
To make a more challenging puzzle, you can include more popsicle sticks or cut your strips of paper into more pieces, which will give you a greater number of pieces to have to put together.
image credit: MCPL - Rose DeHut