Holiday hours: All MCPL locations will be closed Sat.–Mon., 8/31–9/2.
Powers of the Library Board of Trustees
CHAPTER 6: LIBRARY BOARD
COMPUTER ID: LIB-5
Title: Powers of the Library Board of Trustees
Effective Date: 11-24-86
Authorized By: Library Board of Trustees
Date of Last Revision: 2/2009
The Marathon County Public Library Board of Trustees is established under the provisions of Chapter 43 of
the Wisconsin State Statutes and derives its powers from section 43.58 of the Wisconsin State Statutes. The
Library Board of Trustees establish policies in an effort to ensure that the public receives quality library
service at a reasonable cost. The Board does not "run" the Library on a day-to-day basis, but rather guides it
through the creation of policies and the setting of financial priorities. The Board of Trustees performs the
following functions under Wisconsin State Statutes:
1. Controls the expenditure of all monies collected.
2. Audits and approves expenditures.
3. Considers legal claims filed against the Library.
4. Appoints a head librarian and authorizes the hi
ring of such other assistants and employees as
it deems necessary to carry out the work of the Library.
5. Prescribes the duties and compensation of employees.
6. Promotes Library use through the provision of programs, services, and cooperative efforts
with other agencies.
7. Reports on the services and financial standing of the Library to the City Council, the County
Board, the State, and to the public.
- Marathon County Public Library
300 North First Street Wausau WI 54403 USA
Account Status: 715-261-7209 (24/7)