The MCPL Foundation
The MCPL Foundation is an independent, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that secures private funding for the Marathon County Public Library.
Our mission is to support and enhance the libraries of Marathon County and the services they provide. We do this by helping secure financial resources to support collections, programs, services, technology and physical facilities of the library. The library depends on private donors to supplement and strengthen the public’s investment in this vital community resource. Every gift is important, no matter the size.
Why choose the library among your philanthropic priorities?
- MCPL provides a safe and nurturing place for children and families.
- MCPL services are free and available to residents of Marathon County and beyond.
- MCPL services connect with our communities through creative partnerships.
What we do:
The purpose of The MCPL Foundation is to ensure the future of the library as an indispensable community resource. We do this by helping secure financial resources to support collections, programs, services, technology and physical facilities of the library. The Marathon County Public Library is the sole beneficiary of funds raised by The MCPL Foundation.
The MCPL Foundation pursues this purpose by seeking philanthropic support, providing conscientious stewardship of the assets in its care, encouraging appropriate community partnerships and advocating on behalf of the library.
Examples of library projects supported by The MCPL Foundation:
- 2020–2021 – Funded library renovations.
- 2017–2020 – Sponsored the Central Wisconsin Book Festival.
- 2017 – Helped fund the creation of the Wausau Community Room at MCPL Wausau.
- 2013 – Sponsored the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- 2008 – Funded the Re-imagination Project – in particular, the expansion and improvement of the TeenZone at MCPL Wausau.
- 2002–2010 – Funded Marathon County READS, an annual community reading program for all ages.
- 1998 – Established an endowment, the proceeds of which are to be allocated for special projects.
- 1995 – Helped support the expansion of MCPL Wausau – in particular, the addition of the third floor.
Ways to give:
The MCPL Foundation depends entirely upon supporters, volunteers and donations. All contributions are greatly appreciated, and you will get a receipt tax deduction purposes. Investments in your library help support the library’s mission: To enrich lives by promoting lifelong learning and actively providing the community with access to ideas, information and opportunities to connect.
You may donate to The MCPL Foundation via the following:
- Gifts of Cash – Donations of cash is the most common giving method. Please use the “Donate” button on this page, or print and complete our donation form.
- Memorials – We welcome gifts honoring or memorializing someone you love. Please use the “Donate” button on this page, or print and complete our donation form.
- Bequests – Through your will or trust, you can make a bequest to sustain the library by providing a dollar amount, a percentage of your estate or what is left (remainder) to “The MCPL Foundation.” Such a designation may reduce your estate taxes.
- Other Options – If you have another type of donation in mind, please contact us to discuss the possibilities!
The MCPL Foundation also raises funds via direct mail campaigns sent to past and potential donors in the spring and fall. To be placed on the list, call 715-261-7200.
The MCPL Foundation board members:
- Mary Coates – President
- Kathryn Yanke – Secretary
- Nicole Dunbar – Treasurer
- Ashley Baumann
- Cole Gustke
- Amy Szarkowitz
- Leah Giordano – Ex Officio (Library Director)
The MCPL Foundation board meets every other month on the second Thursday at noon — January, March, May, July, September and November.
Contact The MCPL Foundation:
- Address: MCPL Foundation, 300 N. First Street, Wausau, WI 54403
- Phone: 715-261-7200
- Email: Online Form (c/o MCPL Foundation)