Naming Rights Policy
CHAPTER 7: Administrative
COMPUTER ID: AMPRO-55
Title: Naming Rights Policy
Effective Date: 3-26-01
Authorized By: Library Director
Date of Last Review: 7-2013
Naming Rights Policy
Legacy Gifts to the Library
This type of gift allows donors to provide a lasting legacy to honor or recognize an
individual, family or
organization, in addition to providing major support for the library.
1. The MCPL Foundation Board, subject to approval and revision by the Library
Board, has specifically designated the following areas for naming rights:
Branch Library $ 250,000
Headquarters' Children's Library $ 100,000
Wausau Story Room $ 25,000
Computer Lab, Headquarters Library $ 25,000
Wausau Children's Program Room $ 15,000
Wausau Meeting Room $ 50,000
Wausau Children's Computer/Media Area $ 10,000
Wausau AV Collections Area $ 10,000
Wausau Young Adult Area $ 10,000
Branch Library Meeting Rooms $ 35,000
ITEM NUMBER: 7.55 b
2. Donors can also propose specific areas in the headquarters library or in a branch
library for naming rights. Examples of specific areas available for naming include
story hour areas, meeting rooms, computer labs, or a section of the collection. A
minimum donation of $10,000 is required.
3. Name recognition may be as an honor or a memorial to an individual, family, or
organization. The MCPL Foundation retains the right to set the level of donation
required to acquire the naming rights.
1. Subject to the approval of the Library Board, the MCPL Foundation is
responsible for decisions and costs associated with naming facilities. These
costs may include purchase and installation of signage or any other cost
necessary to bring about the name change.
2. Appropriate signs, plaques, or other recognition devices will be determined by
the amount of the gift with consideration as to the aesthetics of the area
involved, subject to Library Board approval.
1. The Library Board retains authority to determine what is in the best interest of
2. All naming rights requests must be approved by the Library Board and, by the
Village Board or City Council in buildings not owned by Marathon County.
3. The Library Board reserves the right to withdraw or discontinue any naming
privilege and, if such action is taken, donations and costs will not be refunded to
the donor or any individual, group, family member, heir, or executor.
4. Requests for naming a specified area or building will be brought to the Library
Board for their action within 60 days, and the donor will be notified within 14 days
of the Library Board's decision.
5. Requests will be considered in the order they are received.
6. The amounts proposed for naming rights may be evaluated every five (5) years
by the Library Board to ensure that the value of the area being named is met by
- Marathon County Public Library
300 North First Street Wausau WI 54403 USA
Account Status: 715-261-7209 (24/7)