Got questions? We've got answers!
If you can't find your question in this list of FAQs, please contact us, or use the site search box at the top of this page.
For FAQs and other information about the potential library system change, visit www.mcpl.us/taskforce.
- How can I renew my items?
- How many items can I check out, and for how long? And what are the late fines?
- How can I get a library card?
- What is my library card number (or patron ID)?
- Where can I use my library card?
- How do I renew my library account, and why did it expire?
- What is my PIN or password?
- How will I be notified if I have overdue items or items being held?
- Why can't I request certain items in the Library Catalog (V-Cat)?
- What are "Lucky Day" items?
- Can I get a library card if I don't live nearby?
- Why doesn't the library have available copies of a popular item?
- May I return my items to any public library?
- Can I check out if I have fines or overdue items?
- What happens if I don't return an item?
- Can I get a library card for my child?
- Do I need a library card for each MCPL location?
- How will I know when my materials are due?
- Can school or daycare groups check out materials when they visit?
- Should I notify the library if I change my address, phone number or email?
- May I check out items or use a library computer without my card?
- What should I do if I lose my library card?
- Can I have library items delivered to my home?
- Can I check out items or use my account without my library card?
- Why is my item's due date (or renewal date) earlier than expected?
- Can I close my library account?
- Can I view the library record of my child, family member or friend?
- How can I pay my library fines?
- Can I see a list of the items I've borrowed in the past?
- Can I cancel a request (hold) on an item if I don't want it anymore?
- How long will it take for my requested item (hold) to arrive?
The COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has prompted changes to the library's day-to-day operations — all of which were implemented to maintain the health and safety of patrons and library staff — while continuing to provide quality library services. ... (read more)
- Can I renew my library card during the pandemic?
- Is curbside pickup of library items available during the pandemic?
- What are "Grab & Go" activities, and how do I pick one up?
- When will the library fully re-open?
- Will the Summer Library Program be affected by the pandemic?
- Can I get a library card during the pandemic?
- Will any events be scheduled during the pandemic?
- When are my items due during the pandemic?
- What safety precautions are being taken during the pandemic?
- How do I participate in a virtual or online event (GoToMeeting, Facebook, Zoom, etc.)?
- Why can't I see my position on the waiting list for an item in the Library Catalog (V-Cat) anymore?
- What are Wisconsin libraries doing to respond to the pandemic?
- Will interlibrary loan (WISCAT) be affected by the pandemic?
- Are book donations accepted during the pandemic, and when is the next book sale?
- Are masks required to visit the library during the pandemic?
- What options are there for parking at the Wausau library?
- Why do I need to contact the library in advance for group visits?
- Why do I need to specify a purpose for our group visit?
- What services are available to visiting groups?
- May we display promotional materials for our group or event at the library?
- How will I know my group visit request is granted?
- Does the library offer free tax forms? When will they arrive, and which forms are available?
WISCONSIN'S DIGITAL LIBRARY
- Is my device compatible with the library's digital content (e-books and audiobooks)?
- Wisconsin's Digital Library doesn't have a book I want. Can I suggest it?
- What software do I need to access digital content from the library?
- Does the library have e-books?
- What are the checkout policies for e-books and audiobooks from Wisconsin's Digital Library?
- How is Wisconsin's Digital Library managed?
- Why can't I use Libby on iOS 9 and older web browsers?
- How long will it take to receive an item "on hold" from Wisconsin's Digital Library?
- What kinds of materials cannot be borrowed via Interlibrary Loan?
- How do I request materials through Interlibrary Loan?
- Where do I return interlibrary loan (ILL) materials?
- How long may I keep Interlibrary Loan items?
- Are magazines available through Interlibrary Loan?
- How will I know when my Interlibrary Loan materials arrive?
- What kinds of materials can be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan?
- Why was my Interlibrary Loan request denied?
- How much does Interlibrary Loan cost?
- What if I need to keep an Interlibrary Loan item beyond its due date?
- How long will it take to receive my interlibrary loan request?
- What if I no longer need an Interlibrary Loan item I've requested?
- Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
- How many Interlibrary Loan requests can I submit?
- Can I use Interlibrary Loan to get information on a subject without a specific item in mind?
COMPUTERS / INTERNET
- May I use someone else's library card to access library computers?
- How do I access library computers or Wi-Fi?
- Why can't I access an online resource from home?