U.S. passport application acceptance is offered at the library's Wausau Headquarters.
Appointments are available every Thursday, 3:00pm to 7:30pm, and every other Saturday, 9:00am to 4:00pm. Walk-ins are invited every Thursday, 9:00am to 3:00pm. Contact us for more information or alternative passport application sites.
Please call 715-261-7240 and ask to speak with a passport application acceptance agent before you apply! Also, we advise reviewing the U.S. Department of State passport website.
Common application mistakes and pitfalls include:
- Not bringing an official birth certificate issued by the government, featuring a raised seal and signature. Hospital certificates and photocopies are not allowed.
- Forgetting to bring (enough) checks. The application fee must be paid by check.
- Making errors on the application. Cross-outs, white-out, or errors of any kind are not allowed; only black ink is allowed, not blue or any other color.
- Applying on behalf of a minor w/o adequate documentation. Please always contact us and describe any special circumstances regarding custody, etc.
Need a passport in a hurry? — Citizens traveling within 14 days may apply at a regional passport facility for faster issuance by appointment only. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for facility locations and more information.
Adults applying for a new passport or a replacement for a lost or stolen passport must provide the following:
- Completed Passport Application (DS-11), available at MCPL Wausau or online.
- Birth certificate issued by the county or municipality in which you were born. Hospital-issued certificates, photocopies and abstracts of birth are not accepted.
- Current proof of identity, e.g. your Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin ID card. Contact us for other ways to prove your identity.
- Color passport photograph, two-inches square, taken within the last six months and meeting passport photo criteria. These may be taken at the library for $10, payable by cash or check.
- Any previous passport book or passport card, unless it was lost or stolen.
If applying on behalf of a minor, please contact us at 715-261-7200. Special conditions may apply. Detailed information is available from the U.S. Dept. of State.
Fees for processing a passport book:
- Adults (age 16 and older) — $110 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
- Children (younger than 16) — $80 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
- Expedited service is available for an additional $60 to "U.S. Dept. of State."
- Express delivery of your application to the processing center is available for $19.99, added to "MCPL" fees. More than one application may be shipped for one fee.
- Express delivery of your passport to your residence is available for $20.66 per application, added to fees payable to "U.S. Dept. of State."
These may be used for land or sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. They cannot be used for other international travel or air travel. In general, you must provide the same information as for the passport book. (See above.)
Fees for processing a passport card:
- Adults (age 16 and older) — $30 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
- Children (younger than 16) — $15 check to "U.S. Dept. of State," $25 to "MCPL."
- The previous passport is not damaged, AND
- The passport was issued within the past 15 years, AND
- The passport-bearer was at least 16 when the passport was issued, AND
- The passport-bearer has the same name as on the previous passport or can document the name change with an official marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree or court order.
- Passport Application FAQs
- Passport Application (DS-11)
- Passport Renewal (DS-82)
- U.S. Department of State
U.S. Passport FAQs
Please note: (1) This page is intended for those who will be applying for a U.S. Passport at the Marathon County Public Library in Wausau, WI. (2) A complete, official Passport Frequently Asked Questions resource is available online at the U.S. Department of State website.
When can I apply for a U.S. passport?
You can apply for a U.S. Passport at the library's Wausau Headquarters by appointment only. Call 715-261-7200.
What is a passport card?
Passport cards are wallet-sized passports can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Passport cards are smaller, less expensive and perhaps a more convenient alternative for travelers to these destinations.
Can I have a passport card and a passport book?
Yes, individuals can apply for both a Passport Card and a Passport Book. The application fee for each would still apply, e.g. $110 + $30 = $140 for adults. If applied for at the same time, only one acceptance or execution fee of $25 is needed.
Who provides the U.S. passport acceptance service?
The Marathon County Public Library has been designated by the U.S. Department of State as a Passport Acceptance Facility. Our certified passport acceptance agents are required to follow all federal rules and regulations. We provide the same service as the U.S. Post Office and similar sites.
How do I get a passport?
You must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of identification and one two-inch by two-inch passport photograph.
What is acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship?
You must provide an official, certified birth certificate issued by the county or municipality in which you were born. Photocopies, hospital birth certificates and certified abstracts of birth are not accepted. Alternatively, naturalized U.S. citizens may submit a certificate of naturalization. You must also submit any previous U.S. Passport. For adult applications, a previous passport may be used in lieu of other proof of citizenship. Official documents will be returned to you by mail.
What is acceptable proof of identification?
Adults may submit their current, valid Wisconsin driver's license, Wisconsin ID card, U.S. Passport or U.S. military ID card. Non-Wisconsin IDs may be accepted if accompanied by a secondary ID; contact us for options.
For children not yet 16 years old, both parents' signatures are required on the application.
Both parents or legal guardians must present evidence of child's U.S. citizenship, present evidence that they are the parents or guardian(s), show valid personal identification, and take the oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent. If one parent is unable to be present, proof of sole custody (divorce decree, death certificate, etc.) or form DS-3053 is required.
Where can I obtain a certified birth certificate?
In most cases, you need to contact the court house of the county in which you were born. You can also find this information using VitalChek (www.vitalchek.com).
Where do I get photographs?
Passport photographs may be taken at the library for $10. Otherwise, there are other businesses which may provide these for you. You will need one 2-inch by 2-inch passport photograph.
How long does it take to get my passport?
The U.S. Passport Office guarantees delivery to the home address listed on your application within the time frames described at http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html.You also may request express mail delivery from the processing center to your residence for an additional $20.66 per application.
What if I need my passport sooner than the expedited delivery date?
U.S. citizens travelling in the next 14 days may apply at a Regional Passport Facility for faster passport issuance by appointment only. The nearest of these facilities are in Minneapolis, MN, and Chicago, IL. Click here for facility locations. Click here for appointment information.
How much does it cost to get a passport?
Fees are payable to the U.S. Department of State are as follows:
- New, replacement or renewal of a passport book: $110 if age 16 and older; $80 if under the age of 16.
- New, replacement or renewal of a passport card: $30 if age 16 and older; $15 if under the age of 16.
- Expedited service (optional): an additional $60.00 per application.
- Express Mail Delivery (optional): an additional $19.99 to the library and $20.66 per application the the Dept. of State.
FEES TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE ARE PAYABLE BY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY.
What is the acceptance or execution fee?
The acceptance or execution fee of $25 is paid to any U.S. Passport Acceptance Agency, including the Marathon County Public Library. The acceptance fee is payable by cash, check or money order.
How can I check the status of my passport application?